How long have you been on this weight loss journey? I started LiveFit classes in July 2014
Weight Loss/Inches: 20 pounds & down from a size 10 to a size 4/6
How did you get started? I had been asked by a couple of other friends to go to boot camp classes. I was too scared & always said NO! I always wanted to be in shape & exercise, but I would start things & not stick with them. My sister-in-law, Kristy, started going to boot camp classes last year. For some reason, I just decided to give it a shot & tag along with her. (Luckily, she didn’t mind 🙂 The Rock Your Jeans Challenge started a month after I began BC classes. We formed a team & signed up! I truly believe it was that challenge and being on a team who motivated me that got me hooked and in the routine of working out 3-4 times a week, most of the time at 5am!!
What is your workout routine and eating plan? During the warmer months, I typically do more boot camp classes. When it was colder, I did more studio than BC. I go to classes 3 times a week, sometimes 4.
My eating is still a work in progress and in no way perfect! I LOVE carbs! It’s so hard to give up things that you have always eaten. I do my best to eat smaller portions and make healthier meals. I’ve re-worked recipes we enjoy using healthier ingredients.
What are your top 3 favorite resources that helped you along the way?
1.) Family & Friends. Everyone has been so very supportive and encouraging!
2.) Pinterest—I enjoy finding new recipes to try. I have a shared board with friends where we pin healthy recipes that we have tried and liked.
3.) LiveFit & the FB page. I love how encouraging everyone is! I love reading success stories and when people share honestly how they are struggling, then see our community rally around with encouragement All the trainers are amazing!!
What one piece of advice would you give to someone who is sitting on the sidelines and waiting? Ok…I have more than 1….
1. Just give it a shot! Don’t be intimidated by the words “boot camp”. It’s so much more than “tossing tires”. (which is what everyone thinks I’m doing when I mention boot camp) Yes, you are going to feel like you are dying, but you won’t. Even people who have been to many, many classes feel like they are dying during class. So we will all feel that way together! You are going to be sore! Coming to another class is the best way to work that soreness out!
2. Take a really good before picture! Honestly, I didn’t take one because given my track record of quitting all other exercise things I’ve tried, I didn’t really figure I would need one. Take a picture!!! You will want to see how far you have come. Make sure you can really see how you look—not in bulky clothes. You don’t have to show the picture to anyone else if you don’t want to…it’s just for you.
3. Don’t be scared to try the classes! I love Barre!! TRX may seem scary. I mean there are straps hanging from the ceiling! But I love that class! Boot camp is not as intimidating as it’s name (you can do it!). I am NOT coordinated & was really scared of Club LiveFit, but a friend asked me to go with her and I really liked it!! Try all of them, you never know what you might like! It’s also a great way to change up your workout routine.
4. Before you go out to eat, research healthier options at the restaurant so you will be prepared ahead of time on what to order. Learn portion sizes. Find ways to make your favorite foods healthier.
What one piece of advice would you give to someone who is in the process but is feeling discouraged? Again, I have more than 1…
1. You did not gain the weight overnight, you will not lose it overnight. There is no easy fix. Believe me, I wished and hoped and looked for it. Doesn’t exist…you have to want it & work hard for it.
2. You have to get up every day and tell yourself “I CAN DO THIS!” (I am not a morning person at all, but I get up 2-3 times a week for 5 am classes)
3. Don’t let one stumble end your journey. You will mess up. You will eat crummy. You will miss a workout. Don’t quit! Don’t keep saying I will start (or start over) Monday. Just dust yourself off and get back to it.
4. Make a friend in class or get a friend to come with you who will keep you motivated. There are times I don’t feel like going, but I know Kristy will be there to pick me up soon or is waiting for me to pick her up and get to class.
Anything else you would like to share? I NEVER thought I could do this or stick with it. I’ve been going to LiveFit classes for a year now and can’t imagine not doing it! Now my husband is going to classes and is rocking it out too! My kids join us at Kids BC as well, so it’s become a family affair!